So I am shampooing the other day and while reading the shampoo bottle like I had all the time in the world, I noticed that almost every American bath or beauty product these days has the label in English and in French. What is that about? I am riddled with questions and statements about this.
- Do we egotistical Americans really think that people in France are going to be reading the side of a bottle of Herbal Essences and be impressed?
- It’s ironic, because the country that seemingly hates us the most is the very country we are trying to woo with our shampoo. We’re like a desperate girlfriend drinking and dialing. Too little too late, if you know what I mean.
- Or, are companies just doing that so that Betty in Hard Luck, Missouri will think she’s buying something fancy from France?
- Let’s just pretend that the myth about European hygiene is true. The French hardly shower, so the effort is sort of lost on them, right?
- My package of toilet paper has English and Spanish. But no French. Hmmm….now I’m confused. Is that a diss? To someone? Is anyone uncomfortable here?
- Then I just figured it’s for the Canadians.